Friday 12 December 2008

12.12.08

borrowed & blue 12.12.08

Sometimes when I don't remember that I'm 28-years-old and I have a job and a flat and a nice girlfriend and a free time-decimating commute, I like to think about bands. Until probably relatively recently, I'd always wanted to be in a band, and saw that goal in terms of personal progression as bigger than the other milestones that tell you you're not fucked up anymore, like getting a girlfriend or a job or a nice place to live. Being in a band, I thought, must be like being in a gang - you'd feel amazing all the time. Those kind of feelings soured over time, I think from just hanging around bands too much.

But sometimes, I still have ideas for things that would be a good band, and it gives me sympathy for the kinds of people - like Stuart Murdoch - who before they were in bands would make up fake bands and send in details of their imaginary gigs to the NME listings pages.

Currently my favourite idea for a band is two guitars, alternating between flange and distortion, detuned (but nothing too heavy and obvious, maybe like E flat), flanking a singer who would render all of the basslines as rapid bleeps on a distorted Casio. Vocals would be the high-register girl-barks I loved in Xerox Girls, Disco, Help She Can't Swim or The Brownies.

The music would sound like:
  • Got The Time by Anthrax
  • Breaking The Law by Judas Priest
  • Last Caress by The Misfits
  • Fuel For Hatred by Satyricon
  • The Pentagram Burns by Satyricon
  • 18 And Life by Skid Row
I can't decide if there'd be a drummer or not.

RE:ACTION

  • 2008
  • 2008
  • 2006
  • 2006
  • 1987
  • 1987
  • 1980
  • 1981
  • 1982
  • 1978
  • 1982
  • 1981

1 comment:

abcdetc said...

Not able to hear much on the computer I have access to but I am happily haunted by the photo on your blog: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/3096334284_ee89abc84b.jpg?v=0

It's brighton seen meeting another planet with another brighton on it? Is it your photo? I ask because it's something we'd like to consider for art for some music when released. Of course we would let you hear it first. Thanks.

abcdetc @ g mail dot com